Last month Schipul welcomed three new interns to the fold. Each has a varying background, and all are excited to be gaining new skills and experience. We have Angie – the marketing gal. And Brian – the Wild Turkey lover. And also Vanessa – the Aussie. Please read on to discover more about them and how they are slowly being indoctrinated into the Schipulite world.
Hello world! My name is Angie Bauer. I am a senior at the University of Houston-Downtown, majoring in Marketing. My role here at Schipul is to assist the Communications Department with Marketing, Communication, and Public Relations efforts. Working with the great Communication Gals Katie and Maggie has allowed me to put all of my â€˜book’ knowledge to real world use.
How did I end up at Schipul you wonder? Well, my journey has been long and not the norm for a typical college student. After graduating from high school in 2000, I started at a small community college, and soon transferred to UofH; already having switched my major three timesâ€¦education, psychology, general businessâ€¦what can I say, I was indecisive! I realized about a month into my semester at UofH that I was not ready for college and all of its responsibilities, so I just stopped going. Needless to say my dad (and his wallet) was not happy about that decision.
I decided that I wanted to have fun first before I really had to grow up, so I got a job as a waitress at Fox and Hound. The money was good enough to pay the bills so I stuck with it. I was meeting great people at the bar and having a blast. When I got the knack of waitressing down, I started working parties. One of my favorite groups to serve was the Schipul Crew who always had fun and was just a joy to wait on. They were always nice, patient, and understanding when I got a little busy (anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows how great this can be). I realized quickly that this group really likes to be around each other. They were not the normal office party to wait on.
What I thought would just be a year off of school turned into about four. Finally, I decided that it was time. Time to grow up and face the real world of adulthood. I enrolled at the University of Houston-Downtown, and decided to major in Marketing, finally realizing what it is I wanted to do with my life. To pay the bills (which now included school), I stuck with my restaurant job (where I was now a bartender) and went to school part time. Three and a half years later, I am only a few months from graduating with a degree in Marketing! I’ve got to say that as the first college graduate in my immediate family, I’m quite nervous and excited, with many family members waiting to hear about all of my success.
Thanks to Ed and the Schipul Crew, I am gaining more knowledge than I could have ever imagined and I am so thankful to be working at Schipul with such great people!
Greetings and Salutations, my name is Brian Edward Moses or Bemo for short. I grew up in Friendswood, TX a suburb south of Houston, I now reside in Fresno, TX (Google map it). I graduated from Florida A&M University (Go Rattlers) with a degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. I bet you’re wondering how I ended up at Schipul and if you are not I’m going to tell you anyway so here it goes.
I graduated during the horrible recession and it was hard to find a job. I did a lot of contract work for various companies doing various things. I’ve always loved web design as a hobby and one company asked me to do some edits for their website. I was a little rusty so I started looking around for help. A dude I grew up with named Al Hughes worked for this great company called Schipul. Over the next few months we talked to each other and he told me about a position opening up and fast forward to today I’m here now. I am soooooo grateful to Ed and everybody at Schipul for this opportunity to work at my dream job. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.
So a little fun facts about myself:
- I love sports, playing and watching them. Basketball is my favorite
- I can play Video Games ALL Day and won’t get bored
- I love my family (I know that’s clichÃ© but you be surprise today how many people don’t)
- I am a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. Spr. 2k5 #6 â€œHardâ€ Alpha Eta Chapter
- You wouldn’t think it but I love Anime (Bleach, Naruto, Gundam, Reborn to name a few)
- I watch Weeds, Entourage, Lost, Fringe, Heroes ( Oh and sidenote J.J. Abrams better provide some answers on some of the TV shows he created or I’m going to flip out)
- I love Tallahassee, FL (It might not have a beach but it is a fun place I promise)
- Shrimp is my favorite choice of food. I’m like Bubba Gump when it comes to shrimp seriously
- Last put certainly not least Wild Turkey is my drink of choice!!!
Howdy, my name is Vanessa. I am Australian and have been living in this fine city of Houston for about 10 months now. I have a background in librarianship and information management. My Schipul welcome thus far has included:
- An impressive number of people who have visited, let alone heard of, my home town of Perth (one of the most isolated cities in the world).
- Being briefed about some of the awesome Schipul clients most related to me, such as the American Australian Association, and the magnificent Australian animals at the Houston Zoo.
- J’s son wanting to come in to the office and practice his Aussie accent on me (love it).
- The office proclaiming their love for Tim Tams and how I can go about scoring them some (I am more excited about the Vegemite tasting that will be coming their way soon though).
While my internship will mainly be comprised of all things social media, web design and project management, there will also be various other forms of learning occurring, such as:
- The weekly food shop’ I have already been forewarned that I will gain at least 15 pounds in my first few weeks here, and the reason’ unlimited bowls of candy and crackers tempting me at every corner. Not to mention the booze. I’ve learnt that Schipulites like a tipple on the odd occasion. My mission while here’ to one week replace the Bud Light with James Boag’s and Ed’s favorite cab sav with something from the Margaret River wine region. Likelihood of success’ medium-to-high. [Shameless plug: Boag’s and a small selection of Marg River wine available at Specs’ try some!].
- American football education’ sports are a big deal at Schipul. You may have already read how Schipulites are into football and baseball, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. My manager insists that my education will not be complete until I learn how to understand and come to love American football. So far I am failing miserably. Compared to Australian Rules Football, the game is slow. Very slow. And involves too much padding and shorts not nearly short enough. Clearly I have my work cut out for me. My mission while here’ convert the office to Australian Rules. Likelihood of success’ slim-to-none. [Shameless plug: if you are in Houston and interested in checking out Aussie rules in the flesh, take a look at the fledging Houston Lonestars].
In all seriousness though, I am delighted to be at Schipul and the chance to learn from some of the best in the web marketing business. If you happen to call the office and the phone is answered by someone a little hard to make out, chances are it is me. Please say hi!