I’ve been ranting and raving about it like a crazy woman since the event made its U.S. debut in Houston last Friday. And I’ve been twice since – and I’m planning a third trip this evening. It’s that good.
Red Bull Illume is a worldwide action and adventure sports photography competition. More than 22,000 images were submitted to the contest of which 50 finalists were chosen by a panel of 53 photo experts. The photos from those finalists are the Red Bull Illume exhibit.
When – 6-10pm each night through Jan. 17
Price – Free – absolutely Free. You’re welcome.
The Scene – 50 photos aligned in neat rows on 4-ft tall illuminated displays; a DJ and free Red Bull with beautiful Discovery Green as a back drop. Priceless.
How to do it right –
- Make it a date ! The cold weather gives you are reason to get close. The photos give you something to talk about. The music makes great filler for potential awkward silences.
- Grab a free copy of the program. It’s pretty and features a print of each photo, the photographer and the story of how they got the shot. (For my photography nerds – the technical details for each photo are included as well (Camera, Lens, ISO, F-stop and Shutter Speed) – I’d faint if the histogram was included.)
- Dress warm with cozy shoes – it’s chilly this weekend in Houston and the exhibit is on the lawn.
- Check out some other attractions at Discovery Green to tailor your experience even more!
- Post photos from your trip to the Discovery Green flickr!