photo by Courtney Pemberton
Last night Schipul and the Houston Humane Society hosted a wine tasting event at Vineyard on the Square in beautiful Sugarland square. It was a great evening for a great cause! Thanks to all who came out to support the Humane Society and the fantastic Lisa Pogue and Natalya Sumner for their hard work putting everything together!
photos by Courtney Pemberton
Here are some things we learned about wine from our EXCELLENT sommelier:
- 90% of wine is NOT meant to be aged – drink white wine within 2-3 years of the date on the bottle and red within 3-5
- Wine does not like temperature fluctuations – after you open a bottle, keep it in the fridge (even red!) to make it last longer and keep it out of the Houston humidity
- If storing wine long term, keep it in a dark place where it won’t get moved like under your bed or in your closet
- Most people start out liking sweet wines (our instructor admitted to drinking nothing but boxed wine 5 years ago) and then graduate to fuller, dry wines. If a wine is too dry for you, try eating it with something acidic (like an apple or smoked gouda) and it will mellow out on your palate.
- You can only actually taste a few flavors – salty, sour, sweet, bitter, and savory. The rest come from your sense of smell. If you don’t believe it, try eating a strawberry while holding your nose!
- Drink what you like! As we heard over and over – “it’s your disposable income, spend it on what makes you happy!”
But don’t worry! Even if you missed out this time, there are lots of things you can do to help the Houston Humane Society.
How can I help the HHS?
- On Twitter?
Follow @HoustonHumane on Twitter for the latest updates and tell your friends!
Check out the Houston Humane Society on YouTube to view videos of the dogs available for adoption!
- Already have a furry friend in your family?
Check out the Houston Humane Society clinic! HHS offers spay/neutering, vaccinations, and microchipping at an affordable price. All of the proceeds benefit shelter animals.
- Shop at Whole Foods!
On Wednesday, June 24! 5% of sales on that day at any of the Houston Whole Foods locations will go to the Houston Humane Society!
Participating Whole Foods markets:
- 2955 Kirby Drive, Houston, TX 77098
- 4004 Bellaire, Houston, TX 77025
- 6401 Woodway, Houston, TX 77057
- 11145 Westheimer Rd., Houston, TX 77042
For more information call 713-341-3311 or e-mail email@example.com.