These days we Schipulites are spending a lot of time talking about, reading about, and developing for the Mobile Web. There is an immense amount of Mobile data out there (88 million Google Results for Responsive Design alone) and it can be difficult to track down the most up to date and useful resources.
We wanted to help by sharing some of our favorite mobile resources that we have been using and sharing in 2013!
13 Mobile Resources for 2013:
1. The Mobile Playbook from Google – themobileplaybook.com
The Busy Executive’s Guide to Winning at Mobile. Lots of great stats directly from Google and an easy to use interface.
2. From SmashingMag – Picking a Mobile Support Strategy for Your Website
This report is from way back in 2011, but it includes some really fantastic basics that still apply for determining your options to implement a mobile website – and the pros and cons of each strategy.
3. Mobile Web Usage Trends You Need to Know in 2013
This 2013 list compiled by HostGator boils down some of the major trends in Mobile Web usage in 2013 – including the trend analysts have been pointing to for years that Mobile Web Traffic will eclipse Desktop Web Traffic as soon as 2014 – and what to do about it!
4. From Mashable – 5 Pillars of Successful Mobile Design
Great tips for mobile design success – including techniques like Mobile First Design and tips for getting your web app used more.
5. Four Case Studies on Responsive Design
Case Studies that introduce data on before and after implementing Responsive Design. Also, be sure to check out our Tendenci case study on Responsive Design.
Reports and Resources on Mobile SEO
6. Search Engine Land Report: Having Mobile Optimized Content Highly Correlates with more Mobile Search Engine Traffic
7. SEO Moz presentation on Mobile SEO: Good Practices to Maximize Your Mobile SEO
8. Google to Start Implementing Ranking Penalties for Mobile Sites with Errors
Posted on the Google Webmaster Tools Blog just last week (June 11, 2013)
Tools for Designing and Developing Responsive Design
9. Responsinator for Demoing Responsive Design Sites
Visit responsinator.com or you can send a direct link with a specific URL plugged in i.e. responsinator.com/?url=tendenci.com
10. Browser Stack helps you test different devices and browsers all at once
11. Responsive Resources – A huge collection of 200+ resources for designing and developing Responsive Design websites.
This exhaustive list is broken down into categories like Strategy, Design Tools, Inspiration, etc. It’s a lot to dig through – check out Mashable’s showcase of their top 10 from the List here
Mobile and Tablet Usage and Demographic Stats
12. Flurry publishes great Mobile Usage Statistics on their blog.
My favorite article is from late last year titled: The Truth About Cats and Dogs: Smartphone vs Tablet Usage Statistics. It contains these fantastic visualizations of mobile usage stats:
Mobile vs Tablet vs TV Device Usage by Hour
Mobile vs. Tablet Usage by Age Demographic
13. Pew Research June 2013 Study on Gadget Usage (Mobile, Smartphone, Tablet)
Pew provides up to date data on Mobile usage, including Mobile Usage by Demographics, and activity data on how Americans use their smart phones:
What Mobile Resources do you use that we left out? Share in the comments!